Saturday, April 14, 2012

Salsa De Chipotle

To be honest, I am not quite sure what I spent the last two weeks so busy doing.  Last weekend was my boyfriend's birthday, so I spent part of the time drinking mimosas and the other part lying on the couch :)  I also haven't been feeling 100% so I think that had something to do with my absence.
I have spent almost the entire week eating quinoa + goat cheese, and tacos (corn tortilla, black beans, cilantro, pico de gallo, red onion, lime juice and avocado = magic).  In my taco frame of mind, I had also purchased the necessary supplies to make Salsa de Chipotle, so I decided to make that today.

For a frame of reference, I LOVE dips, so I decided to make this with the intention of dipping carrots and other crunchy vegetables into it.  I think I went through a month long period a few years ago where I literally only ate dips and the food I could dip into it.

Ingredients
6 Roma tomatoes
1/4 cup sunflower oil or vegetable oil + 1 tsp
1/4 white onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
2 chipotle chiles in adobo (go to the Mexican section of the grocery store; they are in a little can)

Directions

1) Preheat oven to 350*.  Cover a baking sheet in aluminum foil.  Cut tomatoes in half and place them on the baking sheet. Roast for 1.5 hours.

2) In a medium pan, heat 1 tsp oil.  Saute onion and garlic until golden brown.

3) When the tomatoes are done, put them into a large blender.  Add onions, garlic, cilantro and chiles.  It will seem like two chiles isn't very much, but it was perfect for me.  Add more if you want more kick.  Blend and gradually add oil.  Keep blending until smooth.

4) Eat with your favorite dipping items, or on tacos.

WARNING: I would suggest making this for a crowd.  If you are home alone, you are going to find it very difficult not to eat the whole thing!  This stuff is incredible.

Big thanks to Glamour May 2012's feature presented by chef Julieta Ballestero, which is where I got this recipe from.  I can't wait to try to recipe for "The Perfect Guacomole."

No comments: