Sunday, May 6, 2012

Skillet Eggs and Tomato Sauce

I love eggs, but freaked out temporarily when fried eggs just wasn't hitting the spot for me.  I went from craving eggs (evening snack, dessert, over salads, etc.) to indifference.  It was really sad, so I started looking for egg recipes to reinvigorate my love of eggs.  I think I just may have just ate too many of them.

My search for egg recipes brought me to Skillet Eggs and Tomato Sauce, which is an awesome recipe for a healthy, delicious, indulgent breakfast.  I made it in the morning, but I wake up ridiculously early so I have plenty of time to relax.  My mom does this and I used to think she was crazy for waking up so early, but now I totally get it.  Make this for a Sunday morning brunch or if you have some extra time before work.  It doesn't take a lot of work, but did require some monitoring. 

This is also another awesome egg recipe that makes it almost impossible to overcook your yolks.  I hate when yolks are overcooked!

Ingredients (for 2 servings)
Olive oil
1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
Crushed red-pepper flakes, to taste
1 anchovy fillet, finely chopped (sold where you buy tuna fish, in a little tin - about $3.00)
14oz whole peeled tomatoes in juice
4 large eggs
Fresh parsley
Crusty bread (I didn't use, but would be delicious)

Instructions

1) In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium high.  Use however much oil you need to reasonably coat the pan - ~2 teaspoons.  Add onion, garic, red pepper flakes, and anchovy. Note that I was totally terrified to use anchovy because I thought it would taste weird.  To make up for my worry, I made sure to cook the anchovy for a very long time and cut it into very tiny pieces.  I don't like to cook with salt and I think the anchovy did a good job of adding a salty taste to the food (anchovies are very salty) without adding a fishy taste.  It was actually very mild but good.  So use the anchovy!


2) Cook onion/anchovy mixture for about 5 minutes until onions are soft.

3) Break up the tomatoes using kitchen shears, or just tear them apart with your hands like I did.  You want them in little chunks.  Add tomato chunks and their juices to the skillet. Simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes. 

4) Reduce heat to a simmer (about a 3 on the scale).  Spread the tomato mixture evenly over the skillet.  Break 4 eggs into the skilletm as you would if you were making a fried egg.  Cover and cook for approximately five minutes, eggs whites are set.  Remove from heat and let set for 5 more minutes.

5) Serve with a parsley garnish, and if desired, with crusty bread.  The bread would be wonderful to sop up the tomato sauce.  YUM.

No comments: