Monday, May 7, 2012

Steel Cut Oats

I love oatmeal.  It becomes a special treat when slow cooked over the stove, rather than prepared in the microwave with the contents of a packet.  Don't get me wrong - I do love packets of instant oatmeal and they have saved my starving belly more times that I can count.  However, slow cooked oatmeal and instant oatmeal are barely even in the same food group.  Slow cooked oatmeal is luscious and satisfying, and sometimes I even eat it for dinner.

My favorite way to make oatmeal is with steel-cut oats.  I buy the Bob's Red Mill brand.  Steel cut oats look different than normal oatmeal - they look kind of like tiny slivered almonds.  I cook them until they are softened but still chewy.  I am honestly not sure if they are always chewy, or if I stop cooking too soon and just prefer it like that.  It seems like the texture I enjoy them at is a texture most people would find odd, so you may want to experiment with cooking longer or adding more liquid.

Ingredients (for one serving)
1/3 cup-1/2 cup nonfat milk, depending on how soft you want the texture
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup steel cut oats
Dried cranberries
Cinnamon, to taste
Walnuts
Heavy cream (optional)

Directions

1) Bring milk and water to a boil in a small saucepan.

2) Add oats, cinnamon (as much as you want), and cranberries.  Bring to a simmer and let cook for at least 20 minutes.  Add more liquid as necessary to get the desired texture.

3) Serve with walnuts and a small amount of heavy cream drizzled over top (optional).  You can also try adding coconut, brown sugar, raisins, almonds, etc.  Get creative!

No comments: