Tuesday, July 5, 2011

#015 Best use of a 1941 Chevy Deluxe Sedan

This weekend I finally made it to #015 Donnie Mac's, the Best Use of a 1941 Chevy Sedan.

This place has that honor because inside the restaurant is an awesome dining booth that is literally inside a 1941 Chevy Sedan.  I also think they should get an award for rockin' at sticking to a theme.  There is really cool graffiti outside, tons of trashy looking couches and tables out front, and a bunch of little touches that make it seem trailer trash without seeming dirty (it is called "Donnie Mac's Trailer Park Cusine").


They were also seen on the Food Network's "Diners, Dives and Drive-Ins" which is a pretty cool claim to fame. 

We decided to go there after the comedy show, but weren't sure of the hours.  What do you know -- we walk up at exactly ten and see that the place closes at 10 pm.  That was kind of a bummer, and we started to walk away.  A host ran up to us and said we could stay.  It wasn't a half-hearted "you can stay if you want."  She really encouraged it and after us saying no a few times, it just seemed rude to turn her down :)

The food here? Alright.  The service? EXCEPTIONAL.  The entire time nobody made us feel rushed or uncomfortable.  We tried to eat fast for their sakes, but they kept encouraging us to stay longer and to take our time.  I have never had a more friendly or accomodating wait staff.


I ended up ordering the Mac and Cheese, which came with sweet potato fries and "trashy sauce."  I love sweet potato fries, so that was great and the trashy sauce was a nice, sweeter/creamier version of a traditional fry sauce.  However, the Mac and Cheese was good - fine - yum.  It didn't blow my mind, but I wouldn't be opposed to ordering it again (I would also be fine with ordering something else).  I guess you could say I was kinda apathetic. I think I might have very high Mac-standards though, as Moscow has a delicious gourmet Mac and Cheese at Nectar.

For dessert, I got the frozen custard, 'Smores version.  I think the idea is all the custard is vanilla, but you get to pick the way it is made up and there are tons of versions!  The menu is also written in crayon, which I thought was really cute.  Smores had marshmallows, graham cracker and chocolate.  It was good.  It was basically a milkshake though -- I think I was expecting something different.  Not really sure what, but that was not what I thought custard would be like.  It was good and there was a TON of it.  It would totally work to split with someone.

Overall, my order was only $13 which is an awesome price.  I ended up tipping 30%. I HATE TIPPING so that should tell you how impressed I was.

I would say go to Donnie Mac's for the atmosphere and some decent, tasty food.  It won't blow your mind or anything, but I guarantee you will enjoy yourself. I think it would be even more fun if you got to see it in the daylight and look around the place a bit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanna go to Donny Mac's!! If Elaina and Brian come visit you gotta take them!!
xox

Kelsey said...

Yeah they would love it! There ate some many places we could go if you visited :) next I want to try tango's. It's top five on yelp and apparently an amazing empanada place... They even have dessert ones!