Monday, November 21, 2011

Mediterranean Chicken

My mom gave me this recipe for Mediterranean Chicken, and it comes from allrecipes.com

It is really delicious, healthy and low calorie.

Ingredients (supposed to serve 6 mine would probably serve 3-4 as I used less chicken)
  • 2 teapsoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons white wine + 1/2 cup white wine (I used Tisdale Pinot Grigio)
  • 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves - I used 8 tenderloins
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced - I used 3 teaspoons minced (roughly double)
  • 1/2 cup diced onion - just used 1 small onion, didn't measure
  • 3 cups tomatoes, chopped - Like a dumbass, I bought sixteen Roma tomatoes.  For the record, 6 is plenty :)
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme - I used 8 sprigs
  • 1 tablespoon chopped basil (I used three big leaves) - you could use more here and it would only improve the flavor
  • 1/2 cup kalamata olives - I omitted these completely.  I hate kalamata olives, but the comments on the recipe say this makes the dish, so decide for yourself.
  • 1/4 cup chopped parsley
Directions:

1) Heat the olive oil and 2 tablespoons white wine over medium heat.  Add chicken and sautee on each side about 4-6 minutes each.  I ended up deciding to cut my chicken into bite size pieces, which would be best if you were using this over paste or rice.  If you have chicken breasts, it would be good to leave them whole and use as an entree by itself.  Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.

2) Leaving drippings in pan, add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.  Then, add onion and saute 3 minutes.  Add tomatoes and bring to a boil (which is hard to see because there is not much liquid - look if the bits of liquid seem to be bubbling).  Lower heat, add 1/2 cup white wine, and simmer 10 minutes.  I like to simmer on a fairly high heat (like medium low not low) when cooking with wine so it thickens up better.  Add thyme and basil, and simmer 5 more minutes.


3) Return chicken to skillet and cover.  Cook over medium-low until chicken is no longer pink (using tenderloins, mine were already fully cooked from the first step). Add olives and parsley and cook for one minute.

This would be really great over spaghetti, with or without the chicken.  You are essentially making a delicous tomato sauce.  Also, grated parmesan cheese makes this even tastier.

No comments: