Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Ornament Magnets

I went to the Dollar Tree today and OMG I am not buying anything without checking there first!  I didn't find everything I was looking for, but  I found tons of things I would have bought at the normal store, for a higher price, without even thinking twice.  Things like holly berries, glass jars of all shapes and sizes, flameless candles, cleaning supplies, baking supplies, ornaments, and even food items (canned/bottled only) like vinegar, soups, broths, etc.  I am definitely planning on being more strategic with my future purchases and keeping the Dollar Tree in my thoughts.  However, they sadly did not have white pillar candles for me to buy and glitter stripe.

Even after all that, all I ended up actually buying was a tube of seven ornaments and 4 rolls of toilet paper (a quarter per roll!!!).  The ornaments are silver and gold - I went to the University of Idaho, where our school colors are silver and gold.  They were totally perfect and I have basically nothing Vandal colored (besides my gold pumpkin) so I was excited to get something Christmasy but also school-spirited.

Then I went to Fred Meyer and bought 10 little round magnets for $1.99.  These were in the crafting section - the area with stickers, pins, wooden letters, etc. near the glue/tape/office supplies.

All you have to do is use a hot glue gun to glue the magnets onto the back of the ornaments.  Stick them on your fridge and voila! Cute Christmas decor that is cheap ($3) and easy (3 minutes).  I like the way the round ones look, but I think it would look even cuter with other Christmas ornaments, like angels or trees or whatever Christmas ornaments look like...if you have a bunch of random ones, you could spray paint them first so they are uniform in color.
Even better, the silver matches my kitchen color!

1 comment:

Tanya said...

That is a fun idea. Don't you just love the dollar store?! They always have something good :)