Sunday, May 29, 2011

Green Bean Dream

There is a secret I need to let you all in on, and it is called "The most delicious snack in the whole word."

First, there are two things you should know about me: 

A) I LOVE PARMESAN CHEESE.  Like, I literally scoop it out with my hands and eat it plain, from the container.
B) I think of certain foods as means for eating my favorite foods. Ex: potatoes as a way to eat ketchup (another favorite food, but not as delicious by the spoonful and much harder to eat with your hands).  I don't really eat the potatoes because I want the potatoes, but I eat them because I want the ketchup.  Ask my roommates.  I am really that weird.

So this is about methods and means of eating parmesan cheese.  And in this case, that parmesan-cheese carrier would be green beans. 

The best part is, green beans are cheap and they are good for you!  You can buy bulk with twelve cans from Costco, and one can has about seventy calories.  It fills an entire bowl and keeps you pretty full.  Also, the most recent issue of Cosmo says green beans are full of silicon and a study has found people taking a silicon supplement had stronger and thicker hair after nine months...

Anyway, I take the green beans, drain them, and pour them in a bowl.  Sprinkle them with garlic salt (which can potentially slow the growth of tumors, among other things [the garlic part]).  BE CAREFUL not to add too much.  This happens to me about 30% of the time.  I obviously haven't caught on yet and it is awful when it happens.  I consider rinsing the beans off, but by the time I notice, they are already covered in cheese so I can't do that.  Instead I pick around for the best beans and end up just choking them all down.  TERRIBLE.

After that, sprinkle the beans with parmesan.  I love the kind from Costco, and of course I have to buy it in bulk! [thanks Chris for always sharing when I got desperate].  Mix everything together, and pop it in the microwave for 1 minute and fifteen seconds.  I always do it for a minute because my microwave has quick cook buttons for thirty seconds and one minute.  To be honest, I haven't taken the time to figure out how to do fifteen seconds (yes, I do realize I could just open the microwave but no!).  After a minute, I always wish I had cooked it a bit longer and I know if I did it for a minute thirty it would probably burn my mouth because I wouldn't be able to wait long enough.  So trust me -- a minute and fifteen.

Then, enjoy your tasty, amazing delicious snack.  If you are weird and not obsessed with parmesan, I am sure most other cheeses will suffice.

And if you were wondering -- yes I usually have this once per day (right Grandma!!?) and yes, this is my go-to-snack for three in the morning [have NOT been sleeping well lately!]

No comments: