Thursday, September 15, 2011

Freezer Food

My mom would be so proud of me this week! I have been trying to take a week long break from the grocery store (my favorite place) and make food using what I have around the kitchen to use up any leftovers.  This has meant lots of eggs and tuna fish, which has been tasty, but I made an even tastier dinner tonight and it was so easy, not to mention essentially free.

I had about half a box of linguine, so I boiled a pot of water and put the noodles on for 11 minutes.  I checked in the freezer for frozen veggies and found a bag of peas and a bag of chopped broccoli. 

When the noodles had cooked for seven minutes, I added the frozen vegetables to cook for four minutes.  I emptied the peas, and used about half a bag of broccoli.

Once everything was done cooking, I strained it in the colander and returned it to the pot.  I had a half brick of cream cheese in the fridge, and melted it into the noodle/veggies mixture.  I drizzled a bit of my Brianna's Salad Dressing, Champagne Caper, over the noodles to add a bit more flavor.  I also added a tablespoon of garlic and my Italian seasoning spice which is FANTASTIC over anything (particularly buttered sourdough toast).

My mom got me this Italian seasoning.  BEST STUFF EVER.


This was a perfect meal and could be made with whatever you have in your fridge.


Here is a generic formula I think would work:
Use whatever pasta you have
Throw in at least two kinds of vegetables (frozen or fresh)
Add whatever cheese is in your fridge...if it is shredded, make sure you turn the heat back on and let it melt
Drizzle with your favorite salad dressing if you want more flavor (ranch or caesar would be good)
Add garlic
Add your favorite herbs (recommend: Italian seasoning)

I keep going back to eat more! Mine was a lot like a pasta carbonara.  Surprisingly, it is actually fairly healthy too.  Add more veggies and less noodles/cheese depending on how healthy you want yours to be.

In other news, here is a picture of my birthday cupcakes, courtesy of my sweet friend.  I think they unintentionally look like cute little Mickey Mouses.

2 comments:

Terri said...

That sounds like a delicious meal. I'm going to have to get some of that Italian Seasoning.

Anonymous said...

So proud!!!
xox