Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Spiced Apple Mojito

This weekend I bought a fifth of bacardi white rum (not allergic to - yes!) and made Spiced Apple Mojitos from Cosmo October 2011.

These are fantastic is you really appreciate fall and love all the fall spices and flavors.  The boys I was with didn't like it much, but I loved it!

Note that I was visiting my boyfriend and didn't have my official muddler with me, and just used the handle of a wooden spoon to mush everything up.  Thank god I had a cocktail shaker and I do think that is an important component to a fantastic cocktail.

Ingredients for one drink:
3 slices apple
1/16 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
2 sprigs mint
1.5 oz light rum
1.5 oz lime simple syrup (2 parts lime juice with 1 part sugar)
splash of seltzer
thinly cut slice of apple

Make three thin slices of the apple.  I scored mine with a knife because Ididn't have a muddler and wanted to get as much of the juices out as possible.  Add the apples, nutmeg, cinnamon and min to the bottom of a shaker and muddle.  Add more mint if you love mint like I do.

Then, add the rum, lime syrup, and ice and shake well.

To make the syrup, I boiled the lime juice, added the syrup, stirred until dissolved, and removed from heat.  I would even do 3 to 1 lime to sugar because I didn't think the syrup tasted that lime-y.

Strain the mixture into a glass and top with seltzer.

Garnish with a thinly cut slice of apple -- DO THIS.  It is so easy to skip but it makes you feel fancy and decadent and I would recomment it to anyone.  Even drinking solo, garnishes add a beautiful touch.

*I am not sure how this can be considered a mojito (I guess the lime, rum, mint and sugar :) but I really don't think it tastes like a mojito at all.  However, it makes a fantastic rum drink and it is pretty healthy too! Fruits, minimal sugar, and lots of spices. 

2 comments:

Lauren Hairston said...

Oooh I bet a warm version of this would be perfect for winter. Yummy!

Kelsey said...

Lauren - SUCH A GOOD IDEA!!! I love hot buttered rum, so I bet hot spiced rum would be just as yummy :) By the way, do you ever drink sake? I want to try it; curious if you have.