Friday, October 21, 2011

Butterscotch Cookies

Perfect Friday- Pomegranites, cookie baking, Say Yes to the Dress and memoirs to read.

I got this recipe for Butterscotch Cookies from Orangette.  It is super easy, and you probably have most of the ingredients at home (besdies nonfat dry milk!).

Ingredients:
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
14 Tbsp. (1 ¾ sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 ¼ cups dark brown sugar
1 large egg
2 Tbsp. nonfat dry milk
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1 cup finely chopped pecans (optional)

Preheat the oven to 375*.  Grease the cookie sheets (I used cooking spray).

In a small bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt.  After adding the salt (table salt) I also used a sea salt grinder, and added some to the mixture - do this! The extra chunks of salt add an amazing touch.

In a medium bowl, cream the brown sugar and butter.  I always cheat and melt the butter first in the microwave - it makes it a lot easier to cream together. Add the egg, dry milk, and vanilla extract.

I found the dry milk in the baking aisle, near the evaporated milk and coconut.  I had to stare at the shelves for awhile, but eventually found a row of dry milk.  I have NEVER used this stuff before, but it is NOT the same as evaporated milk.  In fact, you are supposed to be able to make milk out of it by mixing the powder with water.  Don't get too excited.  It does not taste the same, I was very disappointed to find discover.  I momentarily thought my problems were solved and I wouldn't have to agonize over buying a gallon of milk and wasting it.  Instead, I could just make my own with powder :) But no, that is not the case.

Anyway, after you mix all the wet ingredients, try not to eat all the batter.  I was in love with the brown sugar/butter mixture.  SO DELICIOUS.  Then, add the flour mixture - I did this in two batches.

Now, decide whether to add the pecans.  If you are adding them, do yourself a favor and buy chopped pecans, or make sure to chop them into very small pieces. I did half and half and with the sea salt, I felt the pecans went with the flavor of the cookies very well.  I think if you wanted to go half and half, it would be easiest to split the batter in half and add the nuts to one batch.  I was lazy and added it to one cookie at a time, and that was a mess.  I just wasn't sure how much batter I wanted nutty.

Then, drop cookies by heaped tablespoon-fuls onto the cookie sheet. I had to use a pizza sheet, and fit seven cookies/sheet.  The cookies flatten out a bit, but not tremendously, after cooking. However, I would have preferred them a bit smaller.  Then get your fingers damp (I almost didn't bother - DO it!), and pat the cookies into circles abou 2.5-3 inches in diameter.

Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes.  I always have an awful time deciding how long to bake cookiers for.  For these ones, 8 minutes was absolutely perfect. I waited five minutes and then transferred to a rack to cool.


These cookies aren't going to blow anyone's minds, but they are simple and tasty.  They aren't too sweet or too overwhelming, and they are a nice treat to have around the house.  They are also super easy to make - it is nice to have a standard cookie you can always whip outta your back pocket.


The recipe says it makes 30, but I only had enough to 21.  Maybe I ate too much batter?

No comments: