Sunday, January 29, 2012

Thing-A-Day

Thing-A-Day starts on February 1st. It is basically a pledge to do one thing per day, and that thing can be whatever you want.  Some examples are cleaning a room every day, painting your nails every day, cooking dinner every day, painting every day, etc.  It is a way to get yourself involved in something you enjoy and make a strong commitment to being creative.


It is also really cool because there is a collective blog where everyone posts what they are working on.  Not only do you make things yourself, but you can enjoy the fruits of everyone else's creativity.  


It is also quite challenging because one thing per day is very time consuming.  I really do think this will be fun, though, and I want to make it a priority for the month of February.


For my Thing-A-Day, I am going to do molecular gastronomy.  I want to make a new recipe each day.  I got a molecular gastronomy kit for Christmas, but I haven't had a chance to make anything.  Thing-A-Day will be the perfect excuse to get acquainted with my kit, and will allow me to explore all the possibilities of molecular gastronomy.  


I anticipate I will be making tidbits like this:

  • Custard ravioles
  • Mint caviar
  • Raspberry ravioles
  • Spherical tzatziki
I will be beginning with a kit my parents got my for Christmas from Molecule-R. I think you could probably assembly your own ingredients for cheaper, but this is great because it gives you a little bit of everything.

My kit comes with five different additives (ten packets of each):
  • Agar Agar
  • Calcium Lactate
  • Sodium Alginate
  • Xanthan Gum
  • Soy Lethicin
  • The kit also comes with five pipettes, one slotted spoon, a set of measuring spoons, a syringe, and three silicon tubs, in addition to a DVD of 50 recipes. 

No comments: