Thursday, June 9, 2011

#001 Best Place to See an Indie Flick

After I got off work, I decided to was finally time to check out #001 Best Place to See an Indie Flick -- The Flicks.

I left my house at 6:20 for the 6:55 showing of Jane Eyre.  I wanted to make sure and leave early so I would have time to buy a snack to eat during my movie.

It was a beautiful day in Boise, so I was just going to wear a t-shirt and at the last minute, I decided to grab a sweater.  Thank goodness, because the theater was acually pretty cold.  It reminded me a lot of the Enumclaw theater (size-wise) but with clean floors and four times as many theaters.

Inside the theater was really cute.  I think it would be a great place just to meet someone for a cup of coffee or a snack.

They also had outdoor seating, which was full before the movie and empty after.
It cost $7 for the movie (student discount) which I think is reasonable.  Once I got in line for snacks, I panicked!  There were way too many delicious things.
I ended up getting a pita with hummus, as well as a huckleberry italian soda without cream.  Together it was $7.95 which is great.  For comparison, a popcorn and pop at Edwards is $11.50 and I don't think that is nearly as tasty.

First, the italian soda.  SO GOOD.  SOOOOO GOOD.  I can't even explain why it was so delicious, but it was amazing.  Not too sweet, but sweet enough.  Crushed ice and not cubed ice.  Perfect amount of carbonation.  I have never had a huckleberry italian soda before, so not sure if that is just their nature, or if The Flicks is exceptional.  They also had it already made immediately after I paid and were very friendly the entire time.

Next, my hummus and pita were ready.
The pita was in two layers, for a total of six.  The pita itself was phenomenal.  It was that kind of doughy smell where you stop and inhale while you are eating, and it's hard to tell where the smell of the bread and the taste of the bread overlap.  SO DELICIOUS.  It reminded me of the business building at UI -- I swear I survived off pitas sometimes.

The hummus was hummus.  Not bad, not amazing.  In fact, I think I would have preferred the pita alone.  I tried to eat the pepperincini things and the olives, but I couldn't stand them both.  Its weird I love vinegar but hate those things (the olives were kalamata -- YUCK).  I did love the tomatoes though.  By the way, I should have had a little more forethought, as it is very difficult to eat hummus with pita in the dark during a movie!

I was the first one to arrive at the particular theater my movie was showing in.  It was funny how much more stressful is it to pick a seat when you have tons of choices.  I watched everyone after me agonize over where to sit.  Some people even got up and moved a couple times.  It made me laugh because we learned about that concept in marketing.  People have a much harder time being satisfied when presented with many options. And, of course, three girls sat smack in front of me when there was plenty of room, but oh well.

As for the movie...I wasn't a big fan.  I haven't actually read Jane Eyre, so maybe that is why.  I thought the movie was overall really boring, and pretty depressing for most of it.  There were a few parts I liked, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it or see it again. However, I loved watching a movie by myself.  I thought it would be weird, but I am totally going to do it again.  Maybe pretty soon, as I saw this on the table and I really want to see this movie:
The Flicks didn't leave out any details.  They also had cute flowers in the bathroom :)

As for this weekend, the people have spoken and I am going to check out the World Center for Birds of Prey in downtown Boise.  Make sure to vote and decide what else I should do this weekend...eat somewhere tasty, zen out, go shopping for wild imports, or people watch and drink tea.

Now it is bed time for me!  I have to get up early and go to the DMV and sign a paper they forget to have me sign...ugh...not too pleased about that, but at least I don't have to wait in any lines.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Midnight in Paris looks like it's going to be good!

Anonymous said...

I think that Big City Coffee and eyes of the world imports should be considered one place...Linen District...It sounds fun!! I think that Donny Mac's sounds the best!! I see it's been featured on Drive in's, Diner's and Dive's! Zen gardens sounds cool too! This is going to be a tough week to vote...
xox,
Mom

Kelsey said...

I really love Rachel McAdams and I am surprised Owen Wilson is in an "indie" type movie, but I definitely want to try it :) Plus at that theater, I can watch it with some French bread and wine...perfect for Midnight in Paris!

Mom, I know you are pushing for as many places as possible haha! I will go to them all EVENTUALLY! Thanks for telling me about Donnie Mac's...I actually had no idea. I will try to pull up the video before I go. When you post, you should use your google account, so I know it is you...just select that.